The History of Aspirus Langlade Hospital
Aspirus Langlade Hospital (ALH) opened on March 21, 1933, and was dedicated as a memorial to the servicemen of World War I. The hospital is owned and operated by the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph in partnership with Aspirus. ALH is committed to providing local access to high-quality health care with a personal touch. It’s a passion we share with Aspirus and through our collaboration we’ll raise the level of local care and strengthen your access to specialty care.
Historical Timeline
1636 Jerome LeRoyer founds congregation of women known as the Daughters of St. Joseph
First Hotel Dieu was constructed on the corner of the present Saint Paul and Saint Sulpice streets. The enlarged Hotel Dieu, rebuilt after three major fires, would be the only hospital in Montreal until 1822; with 31 beds.
1894 Sisters go to Vermont and open their first hospital in the United States
When the doctors and businessmen in Antigo, Wisconsin, some 75 miles north of New London, WI, heard of the quality health care given to the residents in New London, they invited our sisters from Chatham, N.B. to administer their hospital in Antigo.
1929 Antigo Community finishes a new hospital started in 1927. It sits empty because of an $18,000 debt and no money to equip it.
1933 Sisters open the Hospital in April of this year. They paid off the debt with help from the Green Bay diocese and issued a bond in the amount of $60,000.00 to equip the Langlade County Memorial Hospital Hotel Dieu of St. Joseph of Antigo, Wisconsin, Inc. Women from the community banded together to make towels, infant layettes, curtains and draperies. Sister Ann MacIntosh became first the administrator.
1933 First Patient, Mr. Bernard Olson admitted to ER on April 5th, Dr. John McKenna performed the first surgery.
1938 Lawrence Schremp was hired at the age of 18 to become the first Director of Maintenance. Initially he lived in a room near the boiler room as the boiler needed to be fueled with coal every two hours to heat the hospital.
1952 Sisters take up residency on 4th floor.
1954 $1 Million Dollar expansion completed with Hill-Burton government funding. An Italian imported marble stature of St. Joseph is placed on the front entrance of the hospital.
1963 Sister Dolores Demulling arrived as Director of Nursing and OB.
1963 4th floor converted to a 19-bed Nursing Care Facility.
1975 New addition $96,910.00
1978 Major $3.5 Million Dollar Expansion
1991 LeRoyer Hospice begins
1992-1993 First collaborative venture with Aspirus in developing Antigo General Clinic on Hospital Campus.
1992 Pine Meadow Opens
1993 Helicopter Pad
1995 LeRoyer Memorial Walkway
1999 Rosalia Gardens and Walk-in Clinic Opens
2002 $12 Million expansion and new medical building across Fifth Avenue from the hospital.
2002 Rural Dental Health Project begins May 21
2002 St. Joseph’s Outpatient Center opens
2002 Risen Christ statues are erected on the walls in the hospital lobby and entrance of St. Joseph’s Center.
2002 Neurology Clinic opens
2003 Economic woes – LMH trims expenses 1 million dollars.
2006 RSHJ transfer sponsorship to Catholic Health Partners, Inc., operating as Catholic Health International
2008 Volm Cancer Center Opens
2008 New Clinic in Elcho is complete
July 1, 2008, Langlade Hospital becomes a partner with Aspirus, Inc.
2010 Aspirus General Clinic Antigo, Birnamwood & Elcho locations become part of Langlade Hospital.
May 2012 New Aspirus Langlade Hospital Opens
May 2012 First Impression Specialist Department was established to assist patients and families.
July 2013 New Center for Health & Performance (CHAP) Opens
June 2015 Aspirus Langlade Hospital Logo Change
2017 Building project on the senior living campus is complete. New 25-bed CBRF complete, previous location is occupied by Memory Care and new space for Adult Day program.
2017 Dedicated Hospice Suite (3 Rooms) built at Rosalia Gardens. Community Health Foundation donates
$400,000 to the new Hospice space.
2017 New Birnamwood Clinic is complete
2019 Daisy Award launches at Aspirus Langlade Hospital
2020 COVID Pandemic hits Wisconsin. Birnamwood Clinic closed for 2 months. Gift Shop, Volunteers & Valet parking service closures occur.
March 2022 Volunteers return post COVID
August 2022 ALH Hospital Auxiliary makes decision to disband
January 2023 New Radiation Oncology TrueBeam Linear Accelerator begins patient treatment ($3.4 million investment)
2023 Sunflower Award launches at Aspirus Langlade Hospital
2026 Retail Pharmacy project initiated
“If these Walls Could Speak”
Written by Sister Dolores Demulling
This is a story of our heritage from the past which takes us into the present and the future in the new Langlade Hospital. It is a story of journey in health care, perhaps beginning as early as 1902 with hopes and dreams of the people in Antigo, Wisconsin. Echoes erupted from the community with a cry for a hospital. The Antigo city fathers began the study which came to a halt with World War I in 1917.
When World War I ended and peace was declared, the USA government provided funds in memory of those brave men who gave their lives for the freedom of our Country. Again, it was decided by the early Antigo city fathers to continue the dream to build a much-needed hospital in memory of the heroes from World War I.
On completion of the new hospital, the Great Depression of 1929 was at a peak. Thus, there was no money to pay off the debt of the hospital, or to equip and have someone to administer the hospital.
While attempts were made to open the hospital by the Board of Trustees with John C Lewis as the president, it was to no avail. The emptiness of the hospital building was a reminder of the difficult time in which the days and years gave witness to the Great Depression.
On July 25, 2012, the demolition of the hospital began; to make room for a future parking lot. The empty walls again vibrate with the sounds of demolition, yet it is in prophetic voices that
reclaim in faith the initial belief, “Let God do the work.” It was with this premise in mind and heart that a new hospital was conceived and built.
If these walls could speak, a refrain from scripture would be heard and seen. We see where suffering is, God is compassionate and challenging. This is the reason for Catholic Health Care to be engaged in the experience of human suffering. Again, the memories of some eighty years of service continue the journey over time. Day after day and night after night, what would the voices of these walls proclaim if they could speak? Perhaps they would tell of early beginnings of compassion and skills as they were known in each age.
What was it like in the very beginning? The story If These Walls Could Talk would be unique. St Joseph has always been the key in the dream of each of Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph Foundation. Over the span of almost four hundred years, Antigo, Wisconsin was no exception. If These Walls Could Speak, they would tell this story…
It was in the later part of 1931 that a stranger appeared to rouse the interest of the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph Sisters in New London, Wisconsin. In the recently completed hospital,
this gentleman called upon Sister Murdock and a couple of the sisters without giving name or authority. He told them they were giving excellent care in the New London Hospital, but explained that they were also needed in Antigo, Wisconsin. He suggested that they visit the Antigo Hospital as soon as possible. Sister Murdock considered it a call to act on the suggestion of the stranger.
On the morning of June 4, 1931, Sister Murdock, who was Administrator and Superior of the sisters in New London, initiated a visit through a phone call to Mr. J Lewis, President of the Board of Trustees, in Antigo. This phone encounter sent vibrations of hope to this vacant structure, as Mr. Lewis met with members of the board. If These Walls Could Speak, they would have reverberated with a response of joy in anticipation of a visit by the first two Sisters. Sister Murdock considered it a responsibility to visit the hospital in Antigo as soon as possible. Thus, later that same morning, she and her sister’s companion traveled 75 miles to Antigo by car. Upon arriving in Antigo at the residence of Mr. Lewis, they were warmly welcomed and proceeded to visit the
hospital together. Sister Murdock’s first gesture on arriving at the hospital, was to bury a small statue of St. Joseph saying, “If St. Joseph wants the sisters here, he will arrange everything.” The next two hours were very interesting, if these walls spoke, they would be overwhelmed with anticipation. As the sisters visited and listened to Mr. Lewis, they voiced favorable admiration of the fine new hospital. Mr. Lewis expressed his desire in having Sisters in charge of the hospital. He explained that he was only one of five city businessmen and although similarly minded with him, they were obligated to differ due to the wishes of a certain wealthy contributor to the building fund. This donor had stipulated that the hospital’s financial support would be withdrawn should management of the hospital be given to the Catholic Sisters. On hearing these words, and because of the great debt of the hospital (which was eighteen thousand dollars), these walls may have held their breath and wondered, now what? After all, these walls of the hospital remained empty, except for heating apparatus and new kitchen equipment. At this point, the sisters believed that this new mission and enormous responsibility could not be in providence of God for them to assume. They did not have the necessary resources and now they heard they were not wanted. They were not about to tread where their services were not welcome.
Upon Sister Murdock’s return to New London, she sent a detailed account of her Antigo visit to Chatham, New Brunswick, Canada. Chatham was considered the Mother House of the New London foundation. Thus, the matter apparently ended except for an occasional joking reference to the hospital. It was difficult enough to supply mission staff to the hospital in New London let alone provide staff and services to the Antigo hospital. However, all things are possible with God. These
walls experienced sadness. There were no voices of encouragement. These walls longed to embrace and care for the people for whom they were built. The vibrations of these walls were silenced.
To break this silence, it just happened that in the early days of March 1932, Mr. Thomas Durfee of Antigo, an official of the Chicago Northwestern Railway, and his staff were making a tour of inspection and stopped at the New London train station. There he fell on the icy platform sustaining a hip injury which necessitated his admission to the local hospital. In the following eleven weeks, during Mr. Durfee’s New London hospital stay, he was visited by many influential business and professionals from Antigo. Naturally, the Antigo visitors were interested in the New London hospital which had been under construction at the same time as their own and availed
themselves of the opportunity to visit the various departments. The visitors learned about the RHSJ Congregation and the sister’s involvement in the management of the hospital.
About the same time, negotiations had been started between the directors of the hospital of Antigo and a religious congregation in a neighboring town of Merrill. No report regarding the Antigo Hospital was received for the next four months. Then in October, Sister Murdock received a request from a physician, Dr. J.W. Lambert, who was a nephew of Mr. Thomas Durfee, a former patient. Dr. Lambert was vitally interested in procuring sisters for the hospital in Antigo and had been most impressed by the management of the New London Hospital. Having been informed by Mr. Lewis of receipt of a letter from The Holy Cross Sisters in Merrill, that permission to accept the Antigo Foundation (for management of the hospital) had not been approved. Dr. J Lambert volunteered to contact the Mother House in Chatham, New Brunswick, Canada to ascertain what help might be obtained from the Religious Hospitallers. The reply was encouraging. While not committing herself in any way, Mother Mary of Sacred Heart, Superior of Chatham, was interested and asked for detailed information. Mr. Lewis gladly complied. Sister Murdock received instructions to visit the hospital in Antigo and report her impressions to Mother Mary of the Sacred Heart in Chatham. After weeks of correspondence between the authorities in Antigo and the Motherhouse in Chatham, acceptance of Langlade County Memorial Hospital by the Hotel Dieu of St. Joseph of Chatham, New Brunswick took place on December 6th, 1932. There was much discussion which resounded within the walls of the Board Room. Dispersed by the positive remarks, were also some negative ones.
On December 23, 1932, Sister MacIntosh and Sister Martin of the New London hospital received their appointments to the Antigo Foundation. Sister MacIntosh was named as superior and administrator. Immediately after Christmas, the sisters met with Bishop Rhode of the Green Bay Diocese, to obtain permission for a loan of sixty thousand dollars; the amount deemed necessary to
liquidate the outstanding debt and finish equipping the hospital. His Excellency expressed pleasure that “his Canadian Sisters” as he called the New London Community, were to open another hospital in his Diocese. Permission for the loan was readily granted.
With absolute trust in Divine Providence, the community had accepted this new foundation without funds, being financially unable to furnish even the amount specified by the constitutions of RHSJ congregation. On January 2, 1933, the two founders’ sisters, Sister McIntosh and Sister Martin, set out by train from New London to their new field of labor in Antigo. Their early possessions consisted of the scanty wardrobe of each and twenty dollars in cash borrowed from Mother Murdock’s small savings. A few days previous to departure, the sisters had written to the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity, who oversaw St. John’s Parochial school in Antigo, asking hospitality until they would have the hospital ready for occupancy. A cordial letter from the sisters assured them of a warm welcome. Our sisters had not contacted the Antigo Hospital authorities, or in fact, anyone, of the exact time of their arrival. They were pleasantly surprised to find Mr. James Durfee, a prominent young attorney, awaiting them. Mr. Durfee had been chosen by the Motherhouse of Chatham as legal advisor in the transfer of the hospital to the sisters. Events proved the wisdom of their choice, for this fine young man gave generously of his time, his brilliant mind, and his influence in the interests of the sisters and their work. After welcoming the sisters to Antigo, Mr. Durfee said he had instructions from Father Conrad Saile, pastor of St. Johns Church, to take them to his residence. In his absence, Father Beth, the assistant pastor, cordially welcomed the sisters until the sisters from the school came to take them to the convent. To Sister Modesta, Superior of her community; the sisters of the hospital owed a great debt of gratitude for the kind hospitality extended to our sisters over a period of two months. These walls quickly learned the
importance of St. Joseph with whom these walls would become very familiar. It was on St. Joseph’s Day Wednesday, January 4, 1933, that a meeting of the Board of Trustees of the hospital was called by the President, Mr. J.C. Lewis for the purpose of meeting the sisters and making the preliminary arrangements. The Board consisted of Mr. J.C. Lewis, Mr. Roy C. Dempsey, Mr. Chris Melgard, Mr. Harry Berner, Mr. W.D. Cavers, and Mr. H.B. Kellogg.
As humility is the foundation of spiritual edifice, in the material order, nothing worthwhile can be accomplished without dreams and hard work. These walls had already learned this lesson.
The first of the series came to the sisters at this meeting when in reply to the inquiry of a board
member, “Has your Motherhouse in Chatham provided the necessary funds to finance this
undertaking?” The sisters admitted that there were no funds forthcoming, and that they expected, with the assistance of the Board and their legal advisor, to take a mortgage loan on the required
amount to liquidate the debt of the building and to furnish and equip it. The Board had very little to offer in the way of suggestion or encouragement. As the financial depression continued, people were becoming more anxious about the conditions of even the best banks. These walls felt tremendous pressure. The sisters spent the following days calling on the clergy of Antigo: Father Shimek of St. Marys Bohemian Church, Father Bonski of St, Hyacinth Polish Church, and the ministers of the various non-Catholic churches. The city officials, and business and professional men were also included in the visit. These friendly advances had been suggested to the sisters by prominent Catholics, who were most desirous that cordial relations be established early; especially with non-Catholics whose knowledge of sisters was limited, in many instances, to the traditional prejudices of their ancestors. On this diplomatic tour, as it was amusingly called, the sisters were accompanied by Mrs. John Moletor, a very prominent Catholic from St. Johns Parish. This good lady had written to Sister McIntosh while she was still in New London, placing her home, her car, and herself at the disposal of the sisters upon their arrival in Antigo. The hospital was cold and far from clean. It did not present an inviting appearance to the sisters. With not even cloths to begin cleaning, the sisters requested the children of St. John to bring some old pieces of cleaning cloth.
Father Saile, the pastor of St. John, hearing of it, decided to have the need made known in his
Sunday morning announcements. Father Beth, the young assistant, commented, “These good sisters have come to take charge of our hospital, bringing nothing with them but the grace of God.” The appeal had surprising results. The children brought cloths in abundance, and the mothers and older sisters came in numbers to offer service in doing the cleaning. These walls reflected busy weeks full of cleaning, interviewing salesmen, and soliciting orders. Towards the end of January, our good Bishop Rhode of Green Bay came to see the sisters and the hospital. After touring the building he
said referring to the hospital, “this is a very, wonderful, gift.” He spoke most encouragingly to the sisters, and they felt that in their Bishop they had a true friend and father. This is what resounded through the walls of the hospital! Negotiations related to the proposed loan were carried out, but with little apparent success. Another meeting was called in early February with Father Saile, Father Shimek, Father Bermoski, Mr. J.C. Lewis, Mr. James Durfee with the sisters present. It was a cold gloomy day, and an atmosphere of depression seemed to envelop the group as Mr. Durfee reported on the contacts made in the endeavors to secure the funds needed. With the closing of all the banks by U.S. government orders, the outlook according to the report of Mr. Durfee was not very encouraging. Some suggestions were submitted and discussed, but without any definite action being taken. The meeting adjourned with one of the City Fathers remarking, “If the money can not be raised, it will be useless for the sisters to remain.” Mr. Durfee remained after the meeting and
without any comment on what had transpired, said to the sisters, “I am going to Green Bay to see the bishop. I will be back this evening. Wait here for me.” When he returned in the evening he was accompanied by Mr. Thomas Ford, Sheriff of the county, who had been his companion on the ninety-mile ride to Green Bay and who was present at the interview with Bishop Rhode. Mr. Durfee conveyed the difficulties and the meeting’s outcome to Bishop Rhode. After much thought, the bishop gave the following message to Mr. Durfee to relay to the sisters; “Tell the sisters to go ahead and open the hospital, it will never close.” Those words from God’s representative came as an oracle from on high to the discouraged sisters. They resumed their work and again the walls resounded courage. The tide had turned! The Fidelity Savings Bank, one of the three that closed in January, reopened for business and immediately took up the matter of the $60,000 mortgage loan on the hospital in the form of a bond issue. The sale of the bonds was entrusted to two qualified young men, and the work of soliciting was begun, with Bishop Rhode opening the list with a $10,000 purchase of bonds. These walls were silent in anticipation. The next weeks were very busy with the purchasing of furniture and equipment for the hospital. March 22, 1933, was the date set by Bishop Rhode for the religious dedication of the hospital. The day before the dedication a snowstorm set in and by evening the drifts were so high the traffic was at a standstill. His Excellency telephoned to say that it would be impossible for him to come to Antigo and named Msgr. Saile to officiate at the dedication ceremony. Mother Mary of the Sacred Heart, Superior of the Chatham Community, accompanied Sister Gladys Rideout, who had been named as one of the founders of the Antigo Hospital. She arrived a few days prior to the dedication. At 10:00 am on March 22, 1933, Msgr. C. Saile accompanied by the other priests of the city and neighboring parishes went through the hospital blessing the rooms. A solemn High Mass was celebrated by Father Svatek. The Sisters from St. Johns Parish sang for the Mass.
The hospital auxiliary, which had been formed by 160 women from every faith and social group, served a delicious banquet to the guests who had been invited to the dedication ceremony. Invitations had been given to all the clergy of the city, the doctors, the mayor, and the leading professional businessmen and women of the county. Speakers at the banquet included Judge Parson, Dr. L.A. Steffen, President of the Langlade County Medical Society, Mr. James Durfee, Attorney, Rev. N.P. Freelnig of the Congregation Church, and Mr. J.C. Lewis, President of the Hospital Board. Mr. Lewis gave a sketch of the history of the RHSJ Congregation and expressed gratitude to all who assisted the sisters thus far in their work.
On April 2, 1933, the first patient, Mr. Bernard Olson, was admitted as an emergency patient suffering from pneumonia. Miss Jacqueline Hutchinson, R.N. was his nurse. On April 5, 1933, the first surgery was performed in the hospital by Dr. E.A. McKenna and staff.
The first Hospital staff consisted of the following: Sister McIntosh RN, Administrator, Sister Martin RN, Supervisor of Operating Room, Sister Rideout, Supervisor of Laboratory and general duty nurse. Miss Verna Lapp, Surgical and Obstetrical nurse, Miss Mayme Mulhearn, General Duty nurse on first floor, Miss Olive Rosentrater, General Duty Nurse second floor, Miss Opal Strong and Miss Beatrice Goodwill, Night duty nurse, Miss Jane Crowley, office secretary, and Mr.
Lawrence Schremp, established maintenance soon after opening. If these walls could give witness, there would be applause for these first employees who were totally committed to their work and the cares entrusted to them.
On May 30, 1933, the Langlade County Memorial Hospital Medical Staff held their first meeting. Dr. M.J. Donohue was elected President of the staff, Dr. E.G. Bloor, Vice President and Dr. L.A. Steffen as Secretary-Treasurer. This same day two additional sisters arrived from Canada to join the three missionaries already at work. Sister St. Michael and Sister Lacey came to devote their time and labor to the Divine Master in the service and care of the sick. Looking out of the windows, there was great activity outside as well as inside. Landscaping of the lawn and the planting of trees around the hospital was a great chore. In response to a call for assistance, the American Legion offered their services of plowing the ground, while others surveyed the boundaries. The mayor and the city council provided competent men to select and plant the trees. No one could measure the unifying influence of an absorbed community when they were busy beautifying the grounds of the new hospital. The Veterans of World War I were great workers and donated their evening hours to leveling ground, rooting up weeds, etc. Almost two seasons passed in this volunteer work before they saw the beautiful green velvety lawn. The walls beamed with pride!
In February of 1934 a telegram was received from our house in Chatham recalling Sister Martin, as she had not been well. In March Sister Connors, Sister Clarissia Donovan, and Sister Mathilda joined the little group in Antigo, increasing the number of sisters to seven. The seven sisters lived in the hospital, simply poor but with grateful hearts to have the opportunity to love and serve the people of Antigo. If these walls could speak, and tell the stories of faith, joy and suffering, this would be a revelation! Much of the medical care was freely given and in return the people would pay with whatever farm products they had. These early days and years were challenging ones; however, faith was strong through these hard times.
The new hospital had 50 patient beds, 18 bassinettes and other ancillary services. In May of 1935 Walls of an emergency room was completed on first floor of the hospital. Many voices resounded in gratitude and joy when Rev. Henry Hubert of Wabeno, Wisconsin was appointed by Bishop Rhode as Chaplain for the hospital in September of 1935. Not only was the physical care of patients essential, but likewise the spiritual care was also important.
New equipment was purchased throughout the years as needs arose. In addition, the sisters spent time in our hospital in Chicago and Peoria, Illinois. To be better able to serve the people of Antigo, Sister Rideout received her Certificate in medical terminology to establish medical records and Sister Donavan studied X-ray and followed a course in anesthesia.
During the late 1940’s the hospital walls, generally rated as a 50-bed hospital, had been greatly taxed during the previous four years. Consideration was given to the need to double the size of the existing facility. The cost of the addition was estimated at $557,350 including equipment. An allocation had been made by the Federal Government through the agency of the Wisconsin State Board of Health for a federal grant of 45% of the cost or $248,107. The local community of sisters had $125,000 available, but the balance would have to be raised by public subscription. In October of 1950, a bulletin was issued from the State Board of Health in Madison, Wisconsin stating that federal aid for all hospitals which had not yet begun would be discontinued because of the war in Korea. The bulletin further stated that a certain amount would be available by July of 1951. In April of 1952, permission was obtained from Mother Cecilia Murray to go ahead with the building project and have Mr. Berners, the architect, complete the plans and specifications. Bids were opened on November 19, 1952, with the successful bidders being as follows:
- General Contractor - The Immel Construction Co., Fond du Lac
- Heating, Plumbing, Electrical - Badger Electric, Oshkosh
- Finish Hardware - Micholson Builders Co., Green Bay
- Elevators and Dumb Waiters- Heller Elevator Co., Milwaukee
The general contractors were the same people who built the original hospital in 1930. They arrived to begin work on December 10, 1952. The new plans renovated the present building and enlarged patient capacity to 116 adult beds and 18 bassinettes. Larger facilities were provided for the Laboratory, X-ray, and Physical Therapy Departments. The plans provided a new surgical suite, labor and delivery rooms and a nursery. A new central supply room was also included in the plans.
Can you imagine if these walls could speak, what profound message would be conveyed?
The polio epidemic in Antigo was at its peak in 1952, and a therapy room was opened to treat patients who had been released from the isolation ward at St. Mary’s Hospital in Wausau, Wisconsin. The National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis of Antigo received a check for $10,000 to help take care of the polio patients in Langlade County. Mrs. Helen Maloney, R.N. was trained to give the necessary therapy treatments. The new addition would provide larger and better facilities for the treatment of polio victims.
In 1954 an addition was completed. The new walls continued to hold new voices which became memories of many changes and transitions. New technological equipment was beginning to replace older methods of care. The new addition housed second and third medical and surgical patients. The fourth floor was initially inhabited as the sisters’ residence which evidently was needed first for orthopedic patients. The sisters purchased a home at 704 Graham Avenue, and they moved from the hospital. Renovation on fourth floor took place as extended care of elderly patients and eventually, when Eastview Nursing Home was enlarged, many of these patients moved to the new facility. Fourth floor was eventually occupied as offices and pharmacy space. The dedication of the new addition took place on August 31, 1954. Since that time improvements have continued to be made in the services available to the people of the area. Additional physicians were obtained, and new departments were added to give better and faster service such as the Inhalation Therapy Department.
In 1969 the fourth floor of the hospital was converted into a 19-bed Nursing Care Facility for the care of the aged, but who were not ill enough to require acute hospitalization. Additional Construction took place in 1969 with the building of a much-needed purchasing/storeroom department to order and handle the equipment and supplies. In 1970 a new Emergency-Outpatient Department was provided by renovating the old ambulance entrance to the emergency room and constructing a new ambulance shelter. The new room provided for three cubicles and a minor procedure room as well as an outpatient registration and receiving area. There were so many changes and voices that conveyed both joy and sadness. The 118-bed hospital with many ancillary services as would be found in a metropolitan area such as Antigo continued to grow. The number of Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph Sisters who served in the hospital continued to increase with the original foundation of three to as many as twelve. One thing that never changed was their vowed commitment to God to love and serve the people in sickness, poverty, and need. They have always loved the people of Antigo.
The voices often heard in 1964 focused on Vatican II. With many changes in church and community life, the sisters were called to embrace a new way. The way of life and their dress changed but one thing the walls of the hospital still held; the many voices and memories of so many early transactions. There are many memories of those born, healed, and those who died within the confines of the hospital.
So it was, the walls in the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s continued to proclaim life. From the 50’s through the following decades these walls had reiterated that those who served and those who were cared for in their needs endured an unending struggle with tears and successes. These struggles were mixed with celebrations and joys amongst God’s people. The beautiful chapel was always an oasis of peace and beauty. Night and day the silent voice of Christ was present within the four walls of the Sacred Heart Chapel and throughout the hospital. It was a place where all were welcome.
Most often with daily sacrifice of the Eucharist. An occasional wedding, a funeral service, and baptism took place; most often just a prayerful quiet place of reflection. The refrain that those walls could have sung was that the hospital was built with a foundation where love could dwell and all could safely live; a place where hearts could learn to forgive. There is a hymn written by Marty Haugen which proclaims that, “All Are Welcome”. This is the refrain from the essence of the RHSJ’s Charism for the Hospitallers. In French this means hospitality. If these walls could speak, they would have surely proclaimed, in the words of this hymn, “The hopes and dreams and visions of the rock of faith and grace with the love of Christ which shall end divisions and all shall be
welcomed in this place.”
In 1970’s these walls saw a change in the lifestyle of the sisters. There was a revision in the sisters’ dress-or habit, as it was called. Likewise, there were changes in the religious community life. These walls heard many voices of excitement and concern. There was also a change of the role of the sisters in the administrative position of the hospital. Sister Bernice Hughes was the last sister to hold this office. Mr. Kevin Keighron was the first to assume this role. He was followed by David Schneider who was selected and accepted the call as from Christ for this challenging position. With many grateful hearts of faith, he has continued in this on-going process of leadership and has guided Langlade Hospital in its mission and value system. Repeatedly his compassion and words sound through the voices – many spoken and some unspoken but believing in the God who has chosen him. Dave is inspired by courage, conviction and commitment. It is not always words spoken by David, but is often how he makes people, especially employees, feel valued and an important part of the Langlade Hospital team. These walls have often voiced this reflection of reality since 1989.
These walls also proclaimed only partially that the process over the past 35 years is under his
capable leadership. As his voice would be the first to speak, what he has accomplished has been in the ministry of Christ, and accomplished through teamwork.
In 1975 Pastoral Care received greater credibility; although from the beginning pastoral care was always present. In the 70’s the Community Health Foundation was established to enhance community health activities and benefit the hospital.
In 1983 the sisters and the larger community had the joy of celebrating the memorable history of the Langlade Hospital’s 50 years of excellent service. The golden jubilee marked 50 years from the beginning with a new name. The hospital’s name was changed from Langlade County Memorial Hospital to Langlade Memorial Hospital. The walls spoke of continued progress. This celebration was also a symbol of the direction the hospital would pursue in the years to come. The promise of continuing the tradition of personal Christian care and promoting a healthier community. These walls reaffirmed the appreciation of the medical staff, and the efforts made by the sisters and staff.
The many voices these walls reflected have been the voice to heal and strengthen, to serve
and teach, and live in freedom and peace. This hospital truly is a symbol of God’s grace and
together people claim the faith of Jesus. In the past these walls rang out the joy of the St. Joseph’s Center and the Volm Cancer Center. The celebration of 70 years of caring culminated with a beautiful touch stone.
In 1990, to these walls we added a special care unit. The obstetrical department was renovated. MRI and CT scan, ultrasound, and cardiac rehab services were added. These advances called forth many voices and the walls reverberated with change.
As the years passed, these walls often saw evidence of hospital deterioration. So often the competent maintenance staff would hold this structure together day after day and year after year. It was around 2009 that our leadership began to speak of a new hospital. This vision became a reality a few years later. Much would be said if these walls could speak – words of encouragement to proceed. Many community members initially questioned the value of a new hospital. One significant event was the discussion and final decision in 2006 to partner with Aspirus Hospital in Wausau. Without the approval of the sisters and our Aspirus partners, the dream of a new hospital could not have been a reality. The day finally arrived when these walls would finally realize their foundation was coming to an end; to give way to a new structure. One very significant experience was the decommissioning of the Hospital Chapel. Within the sacrifice of the Mass, Father Omer Kelly performed the sacred ritual of proclaiming that the chapel was no longer a sacred space. It was further deployed of all sacred artifacts. This experience aroused many emotions of sadness and
gratitude. The old must give way to the new, just as the walls proclaimed-old wineskins must be exchanged for new ones to hold new wine.
Our spirituality is something we can reverence and cling to as we look forward to continuing the journey of change. Some things we hope will never change such as life memories of birth and death, of health and healing. The quality of our commitment is based on our dedication to God and to the people whom we serve in Langlade Hospital.
As we see the walls of our old hospital building crumbling before our eyes, we realize we are at a pivotal point in the journey of Langlade Hospital. The old walls give way to the new. We see the walls of our new building and have many bright hopes and goals for our hospital. May these new walls speak of commitment to our community. Old wineskins truly HAVE given way to the new. One thing however will not change; our commitment to the mission of Langlade Hospital – to love and serve.