ASHP Pharmacy Residency Program
The American Society of Health-System Residency (ASHP) Pharmacy Practice Residency Program at Aspirus Wausau Hospital allows residents to gain unique experiences in a progressive department within the setting of a community hospital and health-system.
A broad base of acute care opportunities is available with both adult and neonatal patients. Residents will gain experience with total parenteral nutrition, hyperglycemic management, pharmacokinetic dosing, and anticoagulation managements.
The hospital has an active ambulatory oncology program via the Aspirus Regional Cancer Center and residents may be involved in ambulatory care through departmental outreach programs in home care and hospice care. Numerous opportunities are also available for professional public service, speaking, and education.
Pharmacy PGY-1 Residency Program Overview
- Stipend: Approximately $45,000
- Benefits: Health, life, dental and disability insurance, 403B retirement program, travel to ASHP Midyear and Great Lakes Regional Residency Conference, as well as other local conferences as agreed upon with Program Director.
- Start Date: July 1st (flexible)
• Infectious Disease
• Intensive Care
• Project Management
• Drug Information and Policy
PGY-1 Residency Program Application Procedures
Aspirus Wausau Hospital is pleased to announce the availability of 2 positions in a 12-month ASHP accredited Post Graduate Year-1 Pharmacy Practice Residency.
- Enrollment in the ASHP Residency Match Program
American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- Possess a Doctor of Pharmacy from an ACPE accredited school or college of pharmacy.
- Participate in the interview process at Aspirus Wausau Hospital.
- Obtain licensure to practice pharmacy in the state of Wisconsin prior to October 1st of residency year. Get more information regarding license requirements.
1. Complete the online application form, following the instructions below:
a. Read our mission and values statement then select the “I agree” button.
b. To find the Residency application, you need to filter the available positions by Professional/Technical; Wausau Hospital; Fulltime.
c. Then select the search button.
d. You should see two resident positions we have available. Apply for one of them by completing following all the questions on that form.
2. Submit the following documents to the Residency Director, Timothy Nikstad:
a. College of Pharmacy official transcript,
b. Personal statement outlining career short term and long term goals, areas of interest, why you would make a good resident, and reasons for applying to the residency program at Aspirus Wausau Hospital.
c. Three samples of pharmacy related work (sample can be from past presentations, drug monographs, or answers to drug information questions).
d. Three letters of recommendations.
3. All forms must be submitted to the Residency Director, Timothy Nikstad:
4. For consideration, all supporting documentation must be received by Dec. 31.
- After review of application materials by the residency committee, applicants will be contacted for a phone interview.
- Successful candidates will be invited for an on-site interview.
- We appreciate your interest in our program and we look forward to receiving your application.
If you have any additional questions or you would like to contact our current residents, please contact Debra Berndt:
Pharmacy Department Administrative Assistant
Aspirus Wausau Hospital
333 Pine Ridge Blvd
Wausau, WI 54401
(715)847-2000, ext 53132