Meal Planning Tips
A meal plan tells you how many carbohydrate servings to eat at your meals and snacks.
- Men should eat 2-5 carbohydrate servings at each meal (30-75 grams)
- Women should eat 2-4 carbohydrate servings at each meal (30-60 grams)
- Snacks should be limited to 1-2 carbohydrate servings (15-30 grams)
Some Helpful Tips:
- Check your blood glucose level regularly. It can tell you if you need to adjust the amount of carbohydrates you are eating, or the timing of when you eat carbohydrates.
- Space carbohydrate containing meals at least 3 hours apart.
- Eat foods that have fiber, such as whole grains, legumes, and fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Limit your intake of sodium, including limiting salty snacks.
- Choose low-fat sources of protein, such as lean beef, lean pork, chicken, fish, low-fat cheese, or vegetarian foods like soy.
- Eat some healthy fats, such as olive oil, canola oil, and nuts.
- Limit intake of saturated fat. These unhealthy fats are found in butter, cream, and high-fat meats, such as bacon and sausage.
- Eat very little or no trans fats. These unhealthy fats are found in all foods that list “partially hydrogenated” oil as an ingredient.