Learning About Carbohydrates
Why Is Carbohydrate Counting Important?
- Counting carbohydrate servings may help you to control your blood glucose level so that you feel better.
- Carbohydrates make your blood sugar levels rise, and should be eaten in the correct amount. They should also be spaced out throughout the day.
- The balance between the carbohydrates you eat and insulin determines what your blood glucose level will be after eating.
- Carbohydrate counting can also help you plan your meals.
Which Foods Have Carbohydrates?
A carbohydrate is anything ‘starchy’ or ‘sugary.’ These foods should be monitored throughout the day. Foods with carbohydrates include:
- Breads, crackers, and cereals.
- Pasta, rice, and grains.
- Starchy vegetables, such as potatoes, squash, corn, and peas.
- Beans and legumes.
- Milk, soy milk, and yogurt.
- Fruits and fruit juices.
- Sweets, such as cakes, cookies, ice cream, jam, and jelly.