The history of Aspirus dates back to the days when lumberjacks worked the timberlands of central Wisconsin. In 1886, Wausau's first hospital, a 25-bed "ticket hospital," opened and Aspirus was born.
What started out as a 25-bed hospital in 1886 has grown into a world-class health system that includes six partner hospitals, more than 35 community-based clinics and a vast physician network.
Based in Wausau, Wis., Aspirus is a community-directed health system with more than 6,000 employees that serves people in 14 Wisconsin counties and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We have one of the nation's best cardiovascular programs and also provide leading-edge cancer, trauma, women’s health, and spine and neurological care.
In addition to these services and our affiliated hospitals and clinics, we also serve people through home health and hospice care; pharmacies; critical care and helicopter transport service; durable medical goods; skilled nursing homes; a large volunteer corps; and a philanthropic and research foundation.
Aspirus Historical Timeline